Burglaries and thefts traditionally rise over the festive season so it is vital that you don’t get complacent or lax with your home security.
Many homes are left unoccupied which, unfortunately thieves see as a great opportunity to help themselves to your presents and valuables.
SelectaDNA’s forensic property marking kits provide you with the tools to deter the opportunist burglar with little effort or expense.
Top tips from SelectaDNA to keep your home safe over the holidays:
• Keep gifts, cash & valuables safe and well-hidden so they can’t be seen or reached by thieves
• Lock doors and windows before you go out, removing keys from locks and keep them out of reach
• Consider marking your valuable household items with a forensic property marking kit such as SelectaDNA (http://www.selectadna.co.uk). If the worst happens and marked items are stolen from your home, they can be traced back to you and returned by police.
• Don't leave notes for couriers saying no one's in. Make sure you've sent instructions about where to leave parcels if you're out.
• Leave a light on in a room and draw curtains when you go out at night
• Make sure callers to your home are genuine, always ask for ID
• Cancel newspapers, milk etc. if you go away over the festive period. If possible ask a neighbour to park in your drive to make it look like someone is home.
• Make sure your garden shed is well secured. Police have reported a rise in thefts from sheds and garages. Bikes stored in garages or sheds can be registered to BikeRegister, the national cycle database (http://www.bikeregister.com) to deter theft in the first instance, and aid recovery if a bike is stolen and found by police.
For further information and images contact: Angela Singleton, Press Officer for Selectamark.
Back to 2016 News Stories